Check Out Our Past Presentations
April 2021 Meeting Recap
Thanks for participating in the April 16th Advocates for Senior Issues Meeting. Below is information from the FightCybercrime.org presentation.
Please take a minute to answer a short survey. We appreciate your feedback. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3TF2PRW
March 2021 Meeting Recap
We had a very interesting meeting on Friday! Big thanks to Representative Albert and Craig James for joining us.
- If you haven’t already, please take one minute to fill out the meeting survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FVCFGHB
- If you missed the meeting, you can watch the meeting recording here.
- If you had additional questions for Rep. Albert, you can reach out to him at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
February 2021 Meeting Recap
We had a great meeting last Friday. We extend our sincere gratitude to Senator Gary Peters and Dr. Fred Johnson for joining us. If you missed the meeting you can watch the recording here: February 19, 2021 AFSI Meeting
If you were able to join but did not fill out the meeting survey, please take 1 minute to comlete this survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RK96B7Y
Below you will find resources we hope you will find helpful to you!
- If you have additional questions for Senator Peters, you can reach out to his staff, Peter Dickow at : Peter_Dickow@peters.senate.gov
- If you would like to learn more about what happened in Tulsa, OK in 1921 you can check this out: American Experience | Goin' Back to T-Town | Season 33 | PBS
- Dr. Johnson referred to the following during his presentation:
- A Different Drummer by William Melvin Kelley https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SSQ47MS/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1.
- North of Slavery by Leon F. Litwack - North of Slavery: The Negro in the Free States, 1790-1860: Litwack, Leon F.: 9780226485867: Amazon.com: Books
- "The Case for Reparations": https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/
January 2021 Virtual Meeting Recap
We had a great meeting last week. Don't worry if you missed it, it was recorded and can be viewed at the link here.
We are very appreciative of both Dr. Adam London and Representative David LaGrand for sharing their time and expertise with us.
Need more information on the Covid-19 vaccination? Visit this website for the most up to date information: www.vaccinatewestmi.com
During the meeting Representative LaGrand mentioned the following resources:
“The 3 languages of Politics”
“Open Borders: The Science and Ethics of Immigration”
Website for purchasing used books: www.abebooks.com
Rep. LaGrand’s cell phone number: 616-540-0994
November 2020 Virtual Meeting Recap
We had a great meeting on November 20th with Cle Jackson and Rick Pluta joining us. Big thanks to our speakers for spending their morning with us.
Reminder: AFSI does NOT meet in December. Our next membership meeting will be on January 15, 2021.
If you didn’t get a chance to fill out the meeting survey, please do so now: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2GJ7DB2
If you missed the meeting, you can watch the recording here.
Advocates for Senior Issues COVID-19 Care Kits Drive-Thru Event- October 29
October 2020 VIRTUAL Meeting Recap
We had a great meeting last Friday. Thank you to Senator Brinks, Teri Chaplin, and MerriKay Oleen-Burkey for speaking with us.
If you attended the meeting, please click on this link and fill out our survey, it takes 60 seconds or less: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7LVTGJK
September 2020 VIRTUAL Meeting Recap
Our first virtual AFSI membership meeting was a success, with over 50 people in attendance. We hope to double that number before the end of the year!
We are so grateful to our speakers – Chief Payne and Christin Nohner for putting together such informative and engaging presentations.
January 2020 Meeting
Peter Dickow representing Senator Gary Peters
Panel of palliative care experts featuring Dr. Liewen, Dr. Wyn, Sara Torrey-Lowe, and Carol Robinson
November 2019 Meeting
Representative Lynn Afendoulis (R – 73)
State Rep. Lynn Afendoulis was first elected to the Michigan House of Representatives in November 2018. She represents the 73rd District, which includes the city of East Grand Rapids and the townships of Cannon, Courtland, Nelson, Oakfield, Plainfield, Spencer and Grand Rapids Charter Township.
Program Presentation: Effective Advocacy
Melissa Seifert, AARP
Melissa Seifert is the associate state director of government affairs for AARP Michigan. In this role she executes AARP Michigan’s legislative priorities to both state and federal elected officials. AARP advocates on issues that matter the most to people age 50 and older and their families, such as health and long-term care services, income security, support for family caregivers, retirement planning, and protection from fraud and financial abuse.