616-456-5664 menu

Did You Know?

Did you know that you can increase the size of whole webpage, not just the font, using your browser? Simply hit

  • CTRL and = (thats the ctrl key and the = key at the same time) to zoom in
  • CTRL and - to zoom out
  • CTRL and 0 to reset it

That works for every website as well, not just this one!

Home FAQ's

How Do I Know When I Need 24 Hour Care?

My doctor/family has suggested that I need 24 hour care. What do I do? It is OK to ask for help. Everyone needs help sometime. When it comes to senior care services and in-home care options, asking for help may be one of the most important decisions that you make. But needing help doesn’t mean that you need to go to a facility or to leave your home. The important thing to do is to determine what type of help or, in-home care, you need. How to Know if I need 24 hour care

Does 24 hour care mean I have to move? Not necessarily. There are many in-home care options, such as care management, MI Choice Medicaid Waiver and even private pay options to help you live independently in your own home. To find out more, click here.

Who do I call? Where do I start? Your local Area Agency on Aging can help you understand core issues, assess your situation, and provide information on senior care services that are available in your community.

What services are available to help me? Ask yourself what are your current needs? Is it related to safety, fall prevention, medication management, prepared meals or personal care? Many of these senior care services can be provided in your own home or by community agencies and don’t require moving to a facility.

If safety is an issue what are my options? Instead of a 24/7 caregiver, you may need a healthy aging class such as ‘A Matter of Balance’ (click here to access more information, including class schedules) to help address a fear of falling, or even a personal emergency response system to notify someone in case of a fall.

Is there someone who can help with my medication?. Dealing with multiple prescriptions can be confusing and have serious repercussions. A medication management service that includes a nurse and a medication dispenser may help with medication dosage and timing.

My problem is proper nutrition and meal preparation. Home delivered meals can be a solution. They will be prepared using strict dietary guidelines and delivered right to your doorstep.

Bathing, dressing, and personal care are difficult for me. An aide can come into your home to assist you if you need help with personal care. There are a number of agencies that offer this in-home care service. The agency will help identify what help is needed and set up a schedule to have these senior care services provided on a regular basis.

My family caregivers are becoming stressed and burned out. Caregiver support servicesver services are very important. Adult day services or even respite care may give family caregivers a necessary break from regular caregiving. Click here to find out more about help for family caregivers.

I live outside of your region, is there someone that can help me? To find an Area Agency on Aging or other senior care services in your area, visit the Eldercare Locator at www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx 

How do I contact the Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan? If you have additional questions on any of the senior care services listed above, you can contact Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan at (616) 456-5664 or click here to see a list of services we fund in your area. Check out our Facebook page for regular posts on topics related to aging topics


Return to FAQ's

Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan
3215 Eaglecrest Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Phone: 616-456-5664 or 888-456-5664 • Fax: 616-456-5692


Site Map

CARF accredited Dementia Friendly

Website created by GRCMC