616-456-5664 menu

Did You Know?

Did you know that you can increase the size of whole webpage, not just the font, using your browser? Simply hit

  • CTRL and = (thats the ctrl key and the = key at the same time) to zoom in
  • CTRL and - to zoom out
  • CTRL and 0 to reset it

That works for every website as well, not just this one!

Home FAQ's

I Am Worried About Quality Care at My Long-Term Care Facility

There are many great long term care facilities, but it’s always a good idea to be aware of what to do, or who to contact, if you do have a concern about a long term care facility. The information below will help direct you to different options to address various types of complaints and concerns.


If I have concerns about my long-term care facility, what should I do?

  • Learn about the Long-Term Care Ombudsman (LTCO) Program, get to know your local ombudsman, and share information about residents’ rights and signs of quality care.
  • Communicate with the staff, and remember to compliment good care.
  • Encourage family members and friends to continue to visit at varying times, and often.
  • Get involved in the Resident or Family Council at the facility, and get to know other residents, especially those without family or visitors.

I have already identified specific areas of concern, now what should I do?

  • Become familiar with federal and state facility requirements and residents’ rights; review state survey reports to see if the facility has been cited for similar issues before.
  • Document your concerns, take notes of any issues that you identify, and work with the Resident or Family Council of the facility to address concerns together as a group.
  • Discuss your concerns with the facility Administrator; share your observations and goals for resolution.
  • Share your concerns with the Long-Term Care Ombudsman.

My concerns are now very serious, and my complaints have been unresolved; now what?

  • Continue to make notes of your concerns, and be sure to include specific details, including the times of the incidents, names, and dates.
  • If the staff is unresponsive, contact the Long-Term Ombudsman, the owner of the facility, and the facility corporate office for advocacy.
  • Report any suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation to local law enforcement and investigating agencies.

What is a Long-Term Ombudsman? How Do I contact them?

  • A Long-Term Care Ombudsman is someone who will assist residents and prospective residents of long-term care facilities in understanding their rights and resolving complaints to improve their care.
  • In West Michigan, you can contact a Long-Term Ombudsman by calling (616) 245-9451 or (866) 485- 9393 or miombudsman@gmail.com
  • For Long Term Care Ombudsmen outside of West Michigan, visit www.eldercare.gov

Who do I call for more information?

  • For help with concerns, talk with a facility staff person, social worker, or administrator.
  • Contact the Kent County Elder Abuse Coalition at: www.protectkentseniors.org
  • Contact the Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan at (616) 456-5664 or aaainfo@aaawm.org
  • For assistance outside of West Michigan, contact the Elder Care Locator at www.eldercare.gov or  1-800-677-1116
    Contact the National Center on Elder Abuse at (855) 500-3537 or at https://ncea.acl.gov

Return to FAQ's

Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan
3215 Eaglecrest Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Phone: 616-456-5664 or 888-456-5664 • Fax: 616-456-5692


Site Map

CARF accredited Dementia Friendly

Website created by GRCMC