616-456-5664 menu

Did You Know?

Did you know that you can increase the size of whole webpage, not just the font, using your browser? Simply hit

  • CTRL and = (thats the ctrl key and the = key at the same time) to zoom in
  • CTRL and - to zoom out
  • CTRL and 0 to reset it

That works for every website as well, not just this one!

Home FAQ's

"I'm In A Nursing Home, But Want To Come Home. Can You Help?"

Yes we can! Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan helps people living in an nursing facility return home with in-home care senior support services though our NFT program.

What is the NFT program? The Nursing Facility Transition (NFT) program provides adults who are currently living in a nursing home with the opportunity to return to community based living.

What are the qualifications for participating in the NFT program?Adults who wish to participate in the NFT program, must be living in a nursing facility, and be currently receiving or be eligible to receive, Medicaid benefits. The participant must have a desire to return to living in the community, either in a house, apartment, or assisted living facility, and also have barriers to living independently such as needing in-home care or housing.

Can I hear from someone who has been through the NFT process? Yes! Click on the video below to hear Jim's story how he transitioned out of a nursing facility back into his own apartment, then scroll down for more information on the NFT process.

What if I change my mind in the middle of the moving/transition process? An individual who is participating in the Nursing Facility Transition process, may stop the process at any time if he/she decides to continue living in the nursing home.

Can I refer someone to the NFT program? A referral can be made by anyone. Often the referral will come from the adult currently living in the nursing home, a social worker, a family member, or a friend.

How does the process begin? At the first interview, the transition process will be explained to the participant, and an assessment of his/her health needs will also be completed.

Will I be able to participate in the planning process? The NFT participant and the Transition Specialist together will develop a care plan centered on the needs and choices of the participant. If the participant wishes, friends or family members can also be included in the planning process.

If I leave the nursing facility, where will I move to? Help will be given to the NFT participant to find affordable and accessible housing. If the participant has a home to return to, their home will be assessed for safety and accessibility.Nursing Facility Transition Participants may return to their own homes, move in with relatives or friends, or find other living arrangements.

Are there services available, if I need help to live in the community? The Transition Specialist will help identify which services you need to live independently. Some common support services that are available include bathing, dressing, home delivered meals, medication management and housekeeping.

Is the NFT program available in my area? The Nursing Facility Transition (NFT) program is available in Allegan, Ionia, Kent, Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Montcalm, Newaygo, and Osceola counties. If you are looking for services outside of our region, please visit the Elder Care Locator

How is the NFT program funded? NFT services are funded by Medicaid and administered by the Michigan Department of Community Health.

Who do I call for more information? For more information about the Nursing Facility Transition program, you can contact the Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan at (616) 456-5664 or (888) 456-5664 or go visit nursing_facility_transition


Return to FAQ's

Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan
3215 Eaglecrest Dr NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Phone: 616-456-5664 or 888-456-5664 • Fax: 616-456-5692


Site Map

CARF accredited Dementia Friendly

Website created by GRCMC